The EU-Libya Health System Strengthening Programme (LHSS)
Institutional Design Expert for General Healthcare Council
Background of the Mission
The Libya Health System Strengthening Programme (LHSS) is an EU-funded programme and was relaunched in 2017.
The overall objective of the LHSS programme is to improve efficiency, effectiveness and quality of health service delivery in Libya. Its purpose is to strengthen strategic planning, financing as well as management and quality of health service delivery through targeted reforms and pilot interventions.
The EU-LHSS programme’s 2nd Phase is articulated around three result areas:
Result One: Strategic Planning, Health Financing and Capacity Strengthened
Result Two: Health Service Delivery and Quality of Health Care Improved
Result Three: Workforce Planning, Development and Management Strengthened
During phase one EU-LHSS, the Human Resources for Health Work group agreed to explore the possibility of establishing a regulatory body for the health work force. The prime objective is to ensure that all health care professionals are competent and well equipped with the necessary qualifications, competencies and set of skills necessary to care for patient competently and safely.
The work of the EU-LHSS was advanced to the next step during the beginning of phase 2 when the proposal was presented to the Presidential Council of the Government of National Accord and the proposal was adopted by the council. Presidential Decree 853 was passed in September 2107 to establish the General Healthcare Council- GHCC with the following functions:
1. Establishment of registers for all health care professionals permitted to practice in Libya
2. Provide guidance and issues national guidelines on processional standards and ethical issues related to these professions.
3. Assess fitness of health professionals to practice when questions about their competencies are raised through complaints or referrals.
4. Regulation of training of health professionals at all levels including undergradate and postgraduate education.
Objective of the Mission
The newly appointed Management Board of the General Health Care Council (GHCC) and the National Centre for Health System Reform (NCHSR) requested that the EU-LHSS continue their support in establishment of the GHCC and building its institutions, including the following:
a. Institutional design including detailed proposal for structure (organogram), job descriptions for its cadre, and salary scale.
b. Development of operational policies and implementation strategy.
c. Assistance in learning from international experience especially from courtiers in the MENA region and developing countries.
The Non-Key Expert in Institutional Design will assist the GHCC management Board and the NCHSR to establish this body through defining its policies and processes including development of management structure and organogram, propose salary scale for its employees and collaborators, defining the human workforce capacity and expertise needed for its tasks.
Specific tasks of the Expert
1. Formalization of the vision and values of the General Health Care Council
2. Development of detailed organogram for the GHCC outlining structure and functions of various directorates and offices with clear separation of responsibilities while maintaining integrated approach and team work.
3. Development of operational policies that ensures the council will meet its obligations and functions.
4. Development of Job specifications for key positions within the GHCC.
5. Propose remuneration package and salary scale for the GHCC cadre.
Management of the mission
• The work language is English and Arabic
• Up to 30 Working Days from March 2018
• The assignment is based in Tripoli
Profile of the expert – Required qualifications, competences and experience
Qualifications and Skills
• Graduate degree in Management, business administration, or other relevant field.
• Postgraduate degree in Business Administration / Management or other relevant field is advantage (e.g. MBA)
• Knowledge of the Libyan public sector/governmental landscape at national and local level desirable.
• Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English.
Specific Professional Experience
• A minimum of 10 years progressively responsible professional work experience in public sector related research, Management, and system re-design.
• Previous experience in strategic planning, business development and project/Programme management.
• Excellent communication skills and computer skills.
• Track record in management of change and Continuous quality Improvement in management.
• Previous experience in Human Resource Management and planning is an advantage.
• Previous experience in the field of work force regulation is advantage.
For any inquiries contact Dr. Murad firstname.lastname@example.org